HomeAbout LEADMember Program OfficesLEAD International

Intercohort Meeting LEAD CIS  
16 - 18 January 2004, Golitsino, Russia

 

NOTE ON DISCUSSIONS BETWEEN NIKITA GLAZOVSKY AND JULIA MARTON LEFEVRE
and
AGREEMENT ON JOINT POSITION ON NEXT STEPS FOR LEAD CIS

Moscow, 19 January 2004

Nikita Glazovsky (NG) and Julia Marton-Lefevre (JML) met in Moscow on Monday 19 January to review the results and recommendations of the LEAD CIS Intercohort meeting which took place on 17-18 January. It was felt by both that this had been a successful event, providing the opportunity to review each element of LEADís operations in light of the new directions of the LEAD program. The following is a record of the joint positions agreed to in this discussion:

1. Governance:

We noted that the terms of some of the members of the Regional Steering Committee (RSC) will be completed this year and that there will be a rotation of members on a regular basis, as in the past. Membership will be drawn from many parts of the CIS, and will consist of individuals including some from the body of CIS Fellows. Members are elected in their personal capacity by the existing members. Suggestions for new members can be sought from a variety of sources and has been sought from Fellows.

In order to ensure that new RSC members serve the new LEAD program, the rules governing the RSC may be revised by NG to be submitted for approval by the RSC. A description of the role of Directors for LEAD International (LI) is attached, for y information, illustrating what LI expects from its Directors.

The results of the RSCís deliberations will be communicated to the LEAD family in CIS on a regular basis.

2. Secretariat:

We agreed that, given the new tasks and challenges ahead, there would be some adjustment of the present job descriptions of LEAD CIS staff to be made by NG. Taking into account the necessity of developing new directions and new activity, we agreed that NG would hire a new person to carry out project management/fundraising tasks. A job description will be written in the coming weeks and the search will be open to all eligible candidates. This new staff position would be a full time one.

We noted that NG holds a number of prestigious and important positions in Russia, and that each of these is compatible with the aims of LEAD and can help LEAD in seeking new partners, fundraising and increased visibility.

Regarding office space, we agreed that it would be excellent for LEAD CIS to identify rent-free accommodation, in the same way that LI has found its offices in London. The possibility of offering some office space in the Institute of Geography was discussed and JML felt that this would be extremely appropriate given NGís link to the Institute as well as the shared values of both organizations. Such an arrangement would be similar to the way that several other LEAD Member Programs are housed by prestigious institutions in their countries. .

3. Legal Status

We discussed the relationship between LEAD CIS and its host institution (DEF) and noted that the DEF carries out important legal and financial functions for LEAD CIS. However, it was also agreed that it may be possible to find another legal solution today, and that NG will examine ways of registering LEAD CIS as a separate international entity.

4. Brand and visibility

We agreed that more work needs to be done on clarifying LEADís brand and increasing its visibility. NG has established a sub-group working on this, consisting of Vassily Sokholov and Alexander Karpov. Other Fellows may be added to this group, which will work closely with LIís efforts in this direction.

5. General Program directions

We agreed that LEAD CIS, in the same way as LI, will continue to work on training both for future Fellows and for external partners, and that it will also undertake action projects on a variety of issues of interest to Fellows and designed to contribute to sustainable development. These action projects may be on the sub-regional, regional or international levels (the latter represented by different types of program activities, including the Strategic Programs), and they will include as many Fellows as possible. It was noted that training would probably be a part of most, or all. of the action projects.

Regarding LEAD CIS training activities, it was agreed that they would also be offered to Fellows as refresher courses, at a reduced fee, if possible.

Regarding the Young LEADers initiative, it was agreed that NG would set up a small group of Fellows who would like to work on finalizing this proposal. Initial members may include Lilit Haruytyunyan, Artour Demchouk and Artour Aroustamov.

6. Future Intercohort meetings

It was agreed that Intercohort meetings are an excellent vehicle to keep the Network together and to allow it to share ideas and develop new vision. While this particular Intercohort meeting focused on internal matters, future meetings may be convened around important issues for the CIS region, and serve as a means to address these through an inter-sectoral, international forum.

Financing of the organization of this meeting can be shared between the LEAD CIS Fellows, LEAD CIS projects and LEAD CIS office. The meeting would continue to serve the networking function, but may also lead to action projects and a publication. If the topic is of sufficient interest, external funding may be sought for these. The desirability of holding such meetings in different regions in the CIS was also agreed.

7. Network support and participation by Fellows

It was agreed that efforts will continue to be made by LI and LEAD CIS to up-date the bios of the Fellows, and also to keep them informed on the regularly up-dated web sites, and of all international and regional activities.

Regional Focal Points will be identified, consisting of one Fellow per CIS country responsible for raising the visibility of LEAD in that country, assisting with: local fundraising; program development and recruitment of new Associates. The Fellows who will serve as Regional Focal Points will be the members of the Regional Advisory Council. They will serve for a set term (3 years) to advise the Regional Program Director on all aspects of the Program. This body is similar to the Committee of Directors of LI and its Member Programs.

The existence of the Fellows Advisory Committee (1 representative per Cohort) elected at the last Intercohort meeting was noted and their contribution to the Programís development would be welcome.

8. Partnerships

LEAD CIS will continue to develop the network of partner organizations from among international, regional and local institutions committed to sustainable development. Partnerships with the Fellowsí institutions will also be strengthened, as appropriate. These partner organizations will help extend LEAD CISí reach and visibility in the region and could cooperate with LEAD through joint projects.

Nikita F. Glazovsky, Director, LEAD CIS

Julia Marton-Lefevre, Executive Director, LEAD International

Moscow, 19 January 2004